the chicken coop
And on that farm, he had a hen.
Poultry is a broad term for many types
of domesticated birds including:
Modern laying hens will lay an egg almost
Biosecurity in Poultry Barns
- All farms have a biosecurity plan
- Include signage at access points to the farm to discourage unauthorized entry
- Poultry barns limit the number of people who can come to the barn, and visitors to the barn need to sign a logbook
- Avoid contact with other birds, including wild birds, before going to a poultry barn
- Special clothing and footwear should be used in the barn
- Inspect the birds daily to monitor for any signs of sickness or problems in the barn
- Wash your hands and shower after being inside a poultry barn
- Limit the number of vehicles entering the farm
Broilers versus Layers
What is a broiler chicken?
Broiler chickens are raised for meat. These birds have been chosen to be fast growing and to eat a lot!
What is a layer chicken?
Layer chickens have been selected to lay lots of eggs. These birds have special bones that allow them to use lots of calcium for egg production.
What is a dual-purpose chicken?
Dual-purpose chickens can be used for eggs and/or meat.