Breeds of Beef Cows and their characteristics
Ontario Beef Research Centre
The Ontario Beef Research Centre is a unique, state-of-the-art, 165,000-square foot research centre that is a world-class platform for discovery, learning and outreach. It is the result of a vibrant collaboration among the Agricultural Research Institute of Ontario, the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA), the University of Guelph and the Ontario beef industry. It enables research that drives innovation and supports the sustainability and prosperity of the beef sector in Ontario and Canada. It is located in Elora, Ontario.
The Elora site of the Ontario Beef Research Centre features:
- Two barns, with accommodations for 288 mature cows and 120 heifers perfectly configured to facilitate research
- 48 group-housing pens for cow-calf pairs, 40 maternity and special needs pens and 20 group-housing pens for replacement heifers
- Two top-of-the-line hydraulic chutes for handling cattle
- 184 feed intake monitoring systems and 16 creep feeders for calves
- Four laboratory spaces, including a sample storage lab and a clean lab for genomics research
- 300 acres of pasture
- Meeting room and office space
Beef Anatomy and Beef Cuts
Beef Cattle Showmanship
Try These Activities!